"A unique tale by a fresh voice in horror."
-Tracey Fleming "The Written Universe"
FILIPINO VAMPIRE

Kindle (should be free soon!)
NOOK
iPad
Other e-book formats!

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Tempted to copy Twilight

BEFORE: Didn't we all see this happen with writers when Harry Potter came out?

I'm tempted to write my own teen vampire romance, just to get my foot in the door.

But I won't do it.

The road I'm taking might be a "dumber" one, because I'm not doing what obviously is working so well for other authors, but my road is "funner". I don't care for teen romances. Vampires or not. I love what I'm writing. But let's get real. I'd also like to make a living writing. They say horror sells, so tried that. I mean, like, real horror. Zero laughs. So I tries it, and...couldn't do it. I got bored. It's just not for me.

I like comedy. Surreal stuff. The monsters I throw in, I throw in because monsters are interesting and, come on, just silly in general.

So I'll stick by my guns.

One day, I'll be able to say, "I didn't write a vampire teen romance. I wrote what I loved. Even when the market wasn't ready for me, I wrote what I loved."

Strength to you, fellow writer!

2 comments:

  1. Always stick to your guns and write what you want to write.

    Like you, the stuff I write is humorous and a little bit "out there." If I sat down and tried to write a "normal" teen vampire romance, I'd fail miserably.

    However, if I do my own twisted version of one, I'd probably have fun with it. I've been messing around with an idea about a teen boy who falls in love with a teen girl next door, who happens to be a vampire. The twist is that she's also got a twin sister, possibly a Siamese twin sister, who's not a vampire.

    The idea is so bizarre that I just might have to write it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your idea, man! Sounds like fun =)

    ReplyDelete