"A unique tale by a fresh voice in horror."
-Tracey Fleming "The Written Universe"
FILIPINO VAMPIRE

Kindle (should be free soon!)
NOOK
iPad
Other e-book formats!

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Comedy: The Next BIG Hit Genre in Books

I think it's about time. And by big, I mean BIG. As in, now everyone is writing humor books. People will say, "No, it's not. Look around. It's not big right now. Why should it ever?"

Because things change, silly bear!

There was a time when horror wasn't all that popular. But then Stephen King came around. Same goes for JK Rowling. The big boys even told her, "Listen kid, children's books don't sell. You should get a day job." After Harry Potter took off, everyone jumped on the kid's books train. And I don't remember a time before Twilight when teen horror romance was big, unless we're going wayyy back to Bram Stoker's Dracula days.

All this applies to Agatha Christie (mystery), Dan Brown (religious thriller), etc. So that's what I mean by BIG. Humor literature is doing well (I think). I hear Tina Fey's book is funny, and Dave Berry's pretty good, too (in a not-too-edgy-hey-look-at-me-I'm-Stephen King's-friend kinda way). The only really popular, famous, celebrity humor author I can think of that will be remembered for all time -- as much as Poe for horror -- is Mark Twain.

One day, the headlines will read: "Humorist (Insert author) tops JK Rowling in book sales."

And God bless whoever that's gonna be. Humor is good. Humor heals. We've all heard the stories of people beating cancer by having a good laugh or two or three. But I guess my point is...things change.

And every cat gets her day.

=^.^=


5 comments:

  1. So, here's what I'm thinking: you and me should kick this off and be the first two BIG humor novelists of this impending craze of humor books.

    Let's see what we can do! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention another cool dude (although more of a satirist).

    Kurt Vonnegut. I hear Cat's Cradle is both funny AND intellectual lol.

    Oh, and I made "friends" with Christopher Moore on Facebook. As busy as I'm sure he is, I'm hoping he can give some motivational words of wisdom. Finger's crossed!

    If anyone, I'd think he could lead this Humorist Revolution. I still have to read The Stupidest Angel lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only read a couple of Vonnegut's books, but Cat's Cradle was one of them and I thought it was very good.

    I like Moore a lot but I haven't read his last few books. I bet you'd like The Stupidest Angel, especially if you've read other books by him.

    Hey, have you ever read Between The Bridge And The River by Craig Ferguson? That one's a very funny and smart novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Craig Ferguson? The TV host? The guy that was Drew Carey's boss? I didn't know he wrote books. He does seem super funny, though. I'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, that's him. He has just the one novel out and he also has a very funny biography out.

    ReplyDelete